Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Random" texture

Patrick - I, for one, would certainly be interested in such programming. I think several people over the years have been looking for wood-graining type of texture without having to use sandblasting equipment. Please see what you can do for us. Thanks.

Patrick, in case you were thinking that I ignored you....of course I would be interested. That's why I started the thread!

Patrick,

I would be interested to see what you can come up with too.

A set of good carving gouges works remarkably well and will be authentic I find the human computer is more efficient.
    I love using my shopbot but I have found there are times when I can do it better than a machine.

Hi,

This is a fun subject! I’ve got the trimmed textures working now in the development version of VCarve Wizard and this does give some really nice effects as you can see in the images below. The 3d preview is pretty essential as it’s very difficult to guess what the result will be like simply by looking at the toolpaths, as the toolpaths all just look like a random collection of lines! This feature will now definitely be in VCarve Wizard 3.0 (which will be free to all existing users).

Sign with ballnose texture between selected vectors

13088.jpg

test example showing a single texture ...

13089.jpg

and then with two textures crossing.

13090.jpg

I was tempted by Gerald's suggestion of calling them "Vectures" ...

Brian

Awesome!

Would it be possible to have other (more) kind of textures?... something like waving...

Can the angle of the texture path be controlled?

Can you control the offset from vector (to avoid gouging) and get specific effects?

Hi Paco,
    At the moment we don't plan to add too many texture types for V3.0 - but on Wednesday we hadn't planned to include vector texturing at all :-) ! However over time I'm sure we will expand the types available.

> Can the angle of the texture path be controlled?

Yes - with the current version the angle can be controlled - thats how the third example above was done, one texture toolpath at -30 degrees and one at 40 degrees.

>Can you control the offset from vector (to avoid gouging) and get specific effects?

It will texture between any selected group of vectors (including nested islands). The texture toolpaths will all 'blend up' to the selected boundary so the centre of the tool will not cross the selected vectors at will be at Z zero (or a selected start height) at the boundary. For an example like the Westley Court above where the texture toolpaths came up to the surface, this is all you need to do. For the lower two images with the text "Vectric Texture" where the texture meets the lettering below the surface, I just offset the text by about the radius of the tool and created the texture toolpaths upto that and VCarved afterwards.

Gerald - you must have too many pages in your dictionary, though I always liked the Vauxhall Viva!

Brian

Brian, this stuff is darn impressive, and I would like to cut an area tomorrow; 360 x 450mm panel, 50mm ball nose, 5 mm deep max, major "hack angle" parallel to long axis. Could you drop me a G-Code file for Mach?

The Viva appeared '63 - I am a Morris Minor fan myself.

Normand Blais will be along to explain his work:
    (he mailed me the bigger pic)

13095.jpg
    (click for bigger view)

What I cut this afternoon:

13092.jpg
    13093.jpg
    13094.jpg
    same pattern, different depths, one panel from both sides, 16mm MDF, 90 deg. V-cutter.

Hi Normand, where are you? These were the words in his mail:

"Here is a pic of texture I got from bit map software highfield ZSURF rhino and visualmill"